*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure to learn more.
There are many bike racks in the market today. They come in different designs, weights, and qualities, which may make it hard to choose the best one for your car or truck when traveling.
To save you time, money, and the regrets of purchasing a poor-quality bike rack, we have compiled a list of the best bike racks, as recommended by cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts.
We will cover:
- The best bike racks for a hatchback car.
- The best rooftop car bike racks.
NOTE: This list is not in a particular order.
1. Kuat Racks NV 2.0 Bike Rack Plus Add-On
Kuat NV 2.0 Add-On is by far one of the best and most recommended bike racks. It addresses all the concerns that you may have, especially when driving.
It has a great unique design, which comes with quality integrated locks.
Summary of its features;
|1.||Can only carry 2 bikes with capacities of up to 60 lbs each.|
|2.||Holds wheelbases of up to 48″.|
|3.||Holds tires as large as 4.8″.|
|4.||It has an adjustable front tire cradle system.|
|5.||No-tool install with hand tight hitch cam system|
|6.||It comes with fully integrated cable locks.|
For more info, check it out on Amazon.
- Guaranteed security. It has 2 separate integrated locking cables.
- It is easy to assemble —does not take much time to assemble. It took me less than 10 minutes to assemble.
- It comes as a complete set— with all the tools needed to assemble.
- It handles the rough back roads very well. It does not bounce or rattle. It completely secures the bike and does not move.
- Have a great tray support.
- It can be hard to reach the lever, when trying to raise or lower the pivot.
- It can be quite heavy.
|I am 5’0,” and it is not usually a problem for me when I want to raise and lower the rack!|
When carrying more than 2 bikes, I use the Add-On, which allows me to add up to 4 bikes.
The Kuat Add-On is available on Amazon.
2. Kuat Racks Sherpa 2.0-2 Bike Rack
This rack is quite similar to the one above. However, this one is much cheaper and comes with the following features.
|1.||Carries a maximum of 2 bikes of up to 40lbs each.|
|2.||It holds wheelbases of up to 47″ and tires as large as 3″|
Check it out here on Amazon.
- When the bikes are properly secured and tightened, they do not move at all.
- The stabilizer is easy to reach.
- It is coated to prevent the bike from being scratched.
- It comes with a strap which helps keep the tire in place.
3. Hollywood Racks Sportrider SE2 HR-1450Z – 2” Hitch Rack
This is yet another great bike rack. It comes with the following features:
|1.||It holds up to 2 bikes with a maximum of 50 lbs per bike.|
|2.||It includes a locking hitch pin and security cable.|
|3.||It has adjustable wheel holders.|
- Great quality. You get what you pay for.
- It can be pivoted with bikes on it, when you are accessing the truck bed or the trunk.
- The bikes are firmly secured, thus great when going on a long road trip.
- It has got a heavy duty construction.
- It is a bit heavy.
- Can take so much time to set it up, especially as a beginner/first-timer.
- It uses cables to lock the bikes — I wish it used clamps instead.
- It takes up much space when folded, as it get pretty large.
4. KAC K2 2″ Hitch Mounted Rack
This is also a good Bike rack. But honestly, its quality cannot be compared to the ones listed above. However, if you are looking for something affordable, this hitch-mounted rack will do.
|1.||It has an anti-wobble system.|
|2.||You can easily access the rear cargo due to its quick-release tilt design.|
|3.||It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.|
- It comes with easy to follow instructions.
- It can be easily folded when not carrying a bike on your vehicle.
- It is a great bike rack for a fat tire E-Bike.
- The bike properly sits well and very securely — the bike does not hang.
- Its tilt feature allows you to easily load.
- Not great if you are looking for that extra security.
5. Swagman XTC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack
The Swagman XTC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack is very well designed. You can easily tell the design was well-thought-of and manufactured.
Here’s a summary of the top features;
|1.||Carries up to 2 bikes—maximum 35lbs per bike.|
|2.||It has a locking hitch pin and locking ratchet hooks that provide extra security for your bikes.|
|3.||It easily folds up into a vertically compact unit, which saves you storage space.|
- The bike rack is fairly light. This makes it easy to carry.
- It is easy to install bikes.
- It has a hitch adapter.
- When carrying two bikes, they do not bump or rub into each other.
- Secures the bike tightly. The bike remain stable, with very minimum movements.
- Your carbon bike could easily get scratched.
- If you have small hands, it can be difficult to release its hold mechanism.
6. Hollywood Racks Destination 2-4 Bikes Platform Hitch Mount Bike Rack
Hollywood Racks Destination bike rack has been around for quite some time. But it has managed to stay competitive because of its features.
Here is a summary of its top features;
|1.||Can transport up to 4 bikes—maximum 35lbs per bike.|
|2.||It uses ratchet straps to secure the wheels.|
|3.||When the rack is not in use, it can be folded against the car.|
|4.||Accommodates Hybrids, ladies frames, kids bicycles, road and mountain bikes.|
- It is lightweight. You won’t use so much energy installing or removing it.
- Saves time. There’s no need to remove it when done and reinstalling the rack whenever you want to use it. Because it can be easily folded up against the vehicle.
- It comes with a hitch lock, which is unlike other brands which sell it as an optional accessory.
- It easily fits any frame size (including bikes with fenders).
- Tightly secures your bike.
7. SeaSucker Talon Single Bike Rack for Cars
If you own a car not designed to transport a bike, the SeaSucker Talon Single Bike Rack comes in handy. No need to buy another car!
Here is a quick summary of some of its features;
|1.||Secures 1 bicycle up to 45 pounds.|
|2.||Works well on any car.|
|3.||They are portable. Can easily fit in your bike bag, backpack, or even your carry-on.|
|4.||It weighs 6lbs.|
|5.||Install within seconds.|
|6.||Attaches to the roof, trunk, hatchback, or truck bed.|
- It is a quality product. The suction cups tightly secures your bike.
- It is easy to install and uninstall. You easily mount it through a push button pump. Can be used by anyone, even those with no experience.
- Can be used on any car.
- Easy to clean.
- First-timers may get nervous on their first ride with their bike mounted. It can be hard to believe that your bike will remain secured by the suction cups. But it does a great job.
8. Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Spare Tire Rack
Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Spare Tire Rack allows you to properly secure your bike onto your vehicle’s spare tire.
Here’s a summary of its best features;
|1.||Can easily accommodate up to 2 bikes of up to 70 pounds.|
|2.||It has a tie-down system that ensures that the bike is well secured and protected.|
|3.||It is coated with a rugged powder finish.|
|4.||It fits nearly all mounted spare tires. (However, before you buy, be sure to check if yours is supported).|
- The bike remains steady even when driving on off-roads with occasional bumps.
- It is easy to install.
9. Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack, Model 102DN-R
Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack has a great patented design that fits hatchbacks, minivans, sedans, and SUVs.
Here are some of its best features;
|1.||Two side straps.|
|2.||It has got rugged finishing on the top and bottom straps.|
|3.||Its patent single configuration design allows the bike rack to fit different types of vehicles. It also helps prevent confusion.|
|4.||Has got Allen’s lifetime warranty.|
- Easy to install. Only takes a few minutes.
- Its straps are solid.
- No scratches, because of the rugged straps.
- If you do not properly follow instructions, you may end up scratching your vehicle.
10. RockyMounts Driveshaft HM Bolt-On thru-axle bike rack
This is great quality and very reliable bike rack for trucks, vans, and SUVs.
It carries only one bike of up to 35 lbs.
- It is a great way of securing your bike in the back of the pick up.
- The locks help protect your bike from being stolen, when you are not around.
- It is the best bike rack when driving across the country.
Summary of the Best Bike Rack for Long Distance Travel and Prices.
|BEST BIKE RACKS||PRICE|
|1.||Kuat Racks NV 2.0 Bike Rack||$849|
|2.||Kuat Racks Sherpa 2.0-2 Bike Rack||$629|
|3.||Hollywood Racks Sportrider SE2 HR-1450Z – 2″ Hitch Rack||$469.99|
|4.||KAC 2in Hitch Mounted Rack||$399.99|
|5.||Swagman XTC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack||$205|
|6.||Hollywood Racks Destination 2-4 Bikes Platform Hitch Mount Bike Rack||$399|
|7.||SeaSucker Talon Single Bike Rack for Cars||$289.93|
|8.||Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Spare Tire Rack||$88.32|
|9.||Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack, Model 102DN-R||$88.90|
|10.||RockyMounts Driveshaft HM Bolt-On thru-axle bike rack||$79.95|