In this article, we are going to discuss the best debit and credit cards when traveling internationally.
But first, what are the qualities of a good debit/credit card for international travel?
- It should have no foreign transaction fees.
Foreign transaction fees may seem like minor expenses but you will be surprised at how fast they add up.
For example, I remember spending almost $500 on foreign transaction fees on one trip. That’s when I realized that I needed to get another card for traveling.
- It should offer travel security and buyer protection.
Anything can happen when traveling internationally. Having a card that offers some protection can be quite helpful. It is better than nothing.
Avoid traveling with only one card. I recommend carrying at least 2 cards- one can be a credit and the other one a debit card.
If you lose one card or your account gets frozen while abroad, you will not end up getting stranded in a foreign country.
*And Don’t keep all your cards in one wallet.
The following are the best debit and credit cards when traveling internationally.
1. The Schwab Bank Visa Platinum Debit Card
The Schwab debit card is the card of choice for most travelers in the US.
I would highly recommend it when traveling internationally mainly because of the following reasons:
- No foreign-exchange transaction fees.
- No fees or account minimums.
- Travel Insurance.
- It offers fraud protection for purchases and unauthorized transfers.
- It has a higher ATM limit per day.
NOTE: You will need to open or have a Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account to get a debit card.
2. VentureOne Rewards from Capital One
If you are looking for a credit card to use when traveling abroad, VentureOne Rewards from Capital One is a great choice.
It is one of the most recommended travel credit cards because of the following benefits and features:
- $0 Annual Fee.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees for purchases made outside the US.
- You get automatic travel insurance to cover your loss when you use the card for fare purchases.
- When you rent an eligible vehicle with your credit card, you can be covered for damage due to collision or theft.
- New card members earn a 20,000 bonus after spending $500 on purchases made within 3 months of account opening.
- You get to earn unlimited rewards, such as 1.25 miles per dollar on purchases made via the credit card and e.t.c.
You may also like these 8 Best Currency Converter Tips When Traveling.
3. Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card is popular amongst travelers.
Personally, I have been using it for years now, on all my international travels and have never experienced any problems.
I use this credit card when traveling mainly because of the following travel benefits;
- No foreign transaction fees when you use it outside the US.
- You get either TSA Pre ®, NEXUS fee credit, or Global Entry.