Last Updated on November 5, 2022 by Rose Morah
If you’re planning a trip to Mexico, you might be wondering whether it is safe to travel by bus, or if is it possible to take a bus ride from the US to Mexico.
The simple answer is yes! However, there are many factors you will need to consider before and during your trip to Mexico.
This article will help you plan a bus trip to Mexico.
During my bus travel to Mexico City, I must admit I was worried about the security and road conditions. However, I now can’t wait to go back and explore more.
I also realized that traveling by bus to Mexico requires enough time to plan. Otherwise, you might end up regretting it!
Related: Worst Transportation in South America For Tourists and Backpackers.
- Legal documents needed to travel to Mexico by bus
- How long will it take you to travel from the US to Mexico by bus?
- What should you expect when traveling by bus to Mexico?
- What are the best bus features when Traveling to Mexico?
- Where can you find buses from the USA to Mexico?
- Tips for traveling by bus from the US to Mexico
Legal documents needed to travel to Mexico by bus
When crossing the US – Mexican border by bus, you will need to have:
- A valid passport.
- The Mexico Tourist Card (FMM)
You must have FMM to be allowed to cross the Mexican border as a foreigner.
The good thing is that it is easy to apply for it online within minutes before the trip. If approved, it will be sent to your email. Print and carry it with you.
If you don’t have a passport, you will not be able to apply for the Mexican Tourist Card (FMM).
|The FMM is only valid for a maximum of 180 days after arrival and is stamped at the Mexican border.|
Before booking the bus, make sure you have this document because the bus will not wait for you to get it.
If you have traveled a long distance by bus before, you know how uncomfortable and tiring the journey can be.
However, you can easily turn your long bus trip to Mexico into a superb and comfortable one by:
- Choosing the perfect bus to travel to Mexico.
- Learning how to keep yourself comfortable on a long bus trip.
Top 15 Cheapest Destinations to Travel Internationally Even on a Tight Budget.
How to Get Cheap Hotel Rates Last Minute.
How To Prepare And Plan A Road Trip With Friends.
How long will it take you to travel from the US to Mexico by bus?
It took me about 2 days and 12 hours because I did not take a direct bus from New York to Mexico City.
You may also like:
Best European Train Booking Sites (Traveling By Train In Europe).
What should you expect when traveling by bus to Mexico?
- You will enjoy great scenic views
- There are many stops along the way, (for meals and toilet breaks)
- It is not a bumpy ride, as many would expect
- It can get really cold when traveling at night.
- Some routes may be very windy.
- Expect to get annoying folks who engage in loud conversations or are continually on their cellphones. They will also likely distract your sleep from their loud talk.
- Be ready to get the smell of different food flavors on the bus.
See also the Best Money Tips For Traveling To Mexico.
What are the best bus features when Traveling to Mexico?
Before purchasing a bus ticket to Mexico, make sure the bus has the following features:
- It should have plenty of legroom.
- Great comfortable seats. (These are found mostly in first-class and luxury buses).
- It is fast, meaning it doesn’t take long to arrive. It is quite tiring to travel for long hours or days by bus. Sometimes you might even arrive with backaches.
- It should be clean.
- It should have WIFI and onboard entertainment. Trust me, you will need it!
See also: Read This Before Renting A Car In Mexico.
Where can you find buses from the USA to Mexico?
You can easily find and compare the prices of the buses online and book tickets in advance.
Tips for traveling by bus from the US to Mexico
- Carry a blanket, a jacket, or something warm to wear on cold freezing nights.
- Earplugs are a must! They help minimize the background noise.
- For a comfortable bus ride, book a first-class bus ticket or consider traveling on a luxury bus.
- If long bus rides are not your thing, you can book a short flight first and then connect with a bus to Mexico. This is paying for comfort.
- Cheap bus tickets always take longer to arrive. They are also not very comfortable.
- Carry or buy enough water. You will need it to stay hydrated throughout the journey.
- Carry enough snacks.
- Carry a travel pillow for extra comfort and to help you sleep comfortably on the bus.
- Carry enough cash.
- Read online reviews of bus companies before purchasing the bus tickets online.