If you’re planning a trip to Mexico, you could be wondering- Is it safe to travel by bus to Mexico? Is it possible to take a bus ride from the US to Mexico?
The answer to both questions is a big yes! However, there are many factors you will need to consider before and during your trip to Mexico.
This article will help you plan a perfect bus trip to Mexico.
On my first time traveling by bus to Mexico City, I must admit that I feared for my security and road conditions. However, after the trip, I couldn’t wait to go back to Mexico and explore more.
I realized that traveling by bus to Mexico requires enough time to plan. Otherwise, you might end up regretting it!
Legal documents needed to travel to Mexico by bus
When crossing the US – Mexican border by bus, you will need to have:
- A valid passport.
- The Mexico Tourist Card (FMM)
You must have FMM to be allowed to cross the Mexican border as a foreigner.
The good thing about it is that you can apply within minutes online before your trip. If approved, it will be sent to your email. Print and carry it with you.
Additionally, if you don’t have a passport, you will not be able to apply for the Mexican Tourist Card (FMM).
|The FMM is only valid for a maximum of 180 days after arrival and is stamped at the Mexican border.|
Before you book a bus to Mexico, make sure you have this document because the bus will not wait for you to acquire the document.
If you have traveled a long distance by bus before, you probably know that the journey can be very uncomfortable, tiring, and one not to look forward to.
However, you can easily turn a long bus trip to Mexico into a great and comfortable trip by:
- Choosing the perfect bus to travel to Mexico.
- Knowing how to keep yourself comfortable on a long bus trip.
How long will it take you to travel from the US to Mexico by bus?
It took me about 2 days and 12 hours because I did not take a direct bus from New York to Mexico City.
What should you expect when traveling by bus to Mexico?
- You will enjoy great scenic views
- There are many stops along the way, (for meals and toilet breaks)
- It is not a bumpy ride, as many would expect
- It can get really cold when traveling at night.
- Some routes may be very windy.
- Expect to get annoying individuals, who continually engage in loud conversation or on their cellphones. They will also likely distract your sleep from their loud talks.
- Be ready to get a smell different food flavours in the bus. That is, if you do not mind.
What are the best bus features when Traveling to Mexico?
Before purchasing a bus ticket to Mexico, the bus should have the following features:
- It should have plenty of legroom.
- Great comfortable seats. (These are found mostly in first class and luxury buses).
- They are fast, meaning they don’t take long to arrive. From experience, it can be very tiring to travel for long hours or even days, by bus. Sometimes you arrive with backaches.
- They should be clean.
- It should have WIFI and on board entertainment. Trust me, you will need it!
Where can you find buses from the USA to Mexico?
You can easily find and compare the prices of the buses online and book tickets in advance.
10 Best tips when traveling by bus from US to Mexico
- Carry a blanket, a jacket or something warm to wear on the cold freezing nights.
- Earplugs are a must! They help minimize the background noise.
- For a comfortable bus ride, book a first-class bus ticket or consider traveling in a luxury bus.
- If long bus rides are not your thing, you can book a short flight first then connect with a bus to Mexico. This is paying for comfort.
- Cheap bus tickets always take longer to arrive. They are also not very comfortable.
- Carry or buy enough water. You will need it to stay hydrated throughout the journey.
- Carry enough snacks.
- Carry a travel pillow for extra comfort and to help you sleep comfortably in the bus.
- Carry enough cash.
- Read online reviews of bus companies before purchasing the bus tickets online.