Last Updated on November 1, 2022 by Rose Morah
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
In this article, we are going to cover six must-have EV accessories for road safety and convenience when driving your electric vehicle on a road trip.
1. Portable Tire Inflator
A portable tire inflator comes in handy, especially when driving an EV on a long road trip.
Note: Maintaining proper tire inflation improves the range of your EV and the tire life.
Benefits of a portable tire inflator
- Great for emergencies especially when going on long road trips.
- Saves you time, since the best ones can fill your tires in less than 5 minutes. Additionally, it saves the time spent looking for the closest gas station to inflate your tires.
- It is very easy to use.
- Saves you the money you use to fill up the tires at the gas stations.
AstroAI Cordless Tire Inflator
AUTDER 21V Tire Inflator
AstroAI Air Compressor
The above cordless tire inflators are the best so far due to the following features:
- You can fill up to 4 tires at a time.
- They inflate the tires very fast – In less than 5 minutes.
- Shut off after reaching the desired psi level.
- They show you how much air is in the tire when clamped on and set the level you want them to switch off.
- They have accurate PSI readings.
- You can continuously use them for 20 minutes without any issues.
- Air pressure can reach a maximum of 160psi.
- Come with a 20V rechargeable battery pack supply.
- Come with a DC 12V power supply.
- They are convenient and you can even use them to fill your basketballs, bikes e.t.c.
2. Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
A tire pressure gauge is important, especially if you drive a lot.
There are many digital tire pressure gauges on the market today.
So, what makes a good digital tire pressure gauge?
A good tire pressure gauge should have the following features:
- It should be accurate.
- It should be easy to use.
- It should be small and light (very portable).
- It should be easy to read the tire pressure, even during the night when it’s dark.
- It should be affordable but fulfill its purpose.
3. Tire Tread Depth Gauge
For optimal performance of your electric car, it is important to ensure that your tires are in good condition.
Unfortunately, EV tires wear out at a faster rate compared to an internal combustion engine (ICE) car.
This is because the EV battery pack weighs more and thus pushes most of that weight to the ground.
A tire tread depth gauge tool is hence a must-have EV accessory not only for efficiency but for safety as well.
This is because tires play a significant role in the safety of your passengers and yourself.
Having a tire tread depth gauge gives you peace of mind and assurance that the tires don’t have any underlying problems.
I would recommend this GODESON 88702 Smart Color Coded Tire Tread Depth Gauge mainly because of its accuracy and affordable price.
4. Wheel Alignment Tool
An incorrect wheel alignment could affect your electric car’s range because when the tires are dragged sideways, that leads to power wastage.
Even a small incorrect wheel alignment would still affect the vehicle’s range.
Apart from range effects, an incorrect wheel alignment, especially on EVs can also be dangerous.
As you may already know, EVs accelerate very fast. This is because their power is delivered very fast leading to an instant torque. This puts a strain on the tires.
So, imagine having an incorrect wheel alignment with great torque loads.
This would be dangerous to you, your passengers, and other motorists on the road.
Therefore, a wheel alignment tool is a must-have EV accessory.
The good thing is that it is affordable. You can get a good one for under $20 on Amazon.
See the Longest Range Electric Car in 2022.
5. Blind Spot Mirrors
A blind spot mirror provides a good vision of your surrounding while driving and when parking.
You get to see your entire vehicle without blind spots.
Blindspot mirrors are a must-have for a better driving experience.
6. Car Dashboard Camera
A dashcam has many more advantages than you may actually think. I would highly recommend you get it if you don’t already have it on your vehicle.
Here are a few of the main reasons why you should have a dashcam:
- It protects you from fraudulent claims.
It is unfortunate how people make fraudulent insurance claims just to get money from you through insurance.
A dashcam protects you from such people because it records everything that happens on the road when driving.
- It acts as a form of security.
People who target parked cars to steal them when no one is watching are always hesitant whenever they spot a camera.
Personally, I have recorded countless incidents of someone wanting to steal or scratch my car but quickly walking away once they realize I have a dashcam.
- Create amazing road trip memories.
Since I am a frequent traveler, I love the fact that the camera documents my trips. I hence get to save amazing road trip memories.
The following are the features to look for when buying a dashcam:
- It should be a high-quality video recording camera.
For example, a 4K ultra HD recording makes great quality videos with more clarity.
- It should have great night vision.
This means that it can capture clear and good-quality videos in the dark.
- It should have a built-in GPS.
A good dashcam with an in-built GPS allows you to record an accurate driving speed and location, and view your driving route.
I had an experience where I was stopped by police for speeding. Fortunately, I was able to prove him wrong because the GPS had recorded my driving speed.
- It should be able to take pictures.
When driving on a route with great scenic views, the dashcam should be able to take those beautiful pics in a snapshot.
The following dashcams have the above features:
Rove R2-4K Dash Cam Built-in WiFi GPS
REDTIGER 4K Dual Dash Cam Built-in WiFi GPS
WOLFBOX 12“ Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera