Last Updated on January 30, 2023 by Rose Morah
To plan a successful cross-country road trip with your dog, you will need a good dog route planner.
This article discusses one of the best dog route planner websites that helps you plan a trip in just under 5 minutes.
But first, the following are the advantages of using a dog road trip planner:
- It helps you to save time and is less stressful.
- It helps you choose the best route for your road trip.
- You get a clear picture of what your trip will look like.
- It helps you enjoy a smooth and seamless dog road trip.
- It is flexible. You can plan an emergency route that includes dog clinics.
Petswelcome is one of the best dog trip planner websites that helps you plan your route. It allows you to add stopovers and dog-friendly hotels within your route.
The following are steps for planning a road trip with your dog on Petswelcome.
- 1. Add your starting point and destination
- 2. Select your preferred hotel along your route
- How to select the hotel's pet fee on Petswelcome dog route planner.
- How to check the dog weight limit on these hotels
- How to check the maximum number of pets allowed per room
- How to add stopovers on your route
- How to get hard copy directions for your trip
- How to plan an emergency route on a road trip with a dog
1. Add your starting point and destination
(Check out the screenshot below)
What I love about this dog route planner is the fact that it allows me to select hotels near my main route. I just need to adjust the miles, as seen in the screenshot below.
2. Select your preferred hotel along your route
So, once you’ve entered your starting location and your destination, go ahead and click on ‘Go.’
Your route will be automatically mapped- as seen below.
How to select the hotel’s pet fee on Petswelcome dog route planner.
Select “Add to your trip,” as seen in the screenshot below
You may also like 15 Tips for Taking Your Dog Camping For The First Time.
See also 13 Must-Have Dog Camping Accessories.
How to check the dog weight limit on these hotels
If you are traveling with a big dog, then this will be important.
The screenshot below is about how to check the weight limits.
How to check the maximum number of pets allowed per room
Once you have identified the ideal hotels for you and your dog, you will need to find out the maximum number of dogs allowed and the fee you will pay per night. This is important, especially if you are traveling with more than one dog.
Refer to the screenshot below.
So, to check, click on “more info” just below the hotel.
How to add stopovers on your route
Remember, frequent stopovers are a must when you’re planning a long road trip with your dog!
This dog route planner website comes in handy when planning your stopovers.
How to get hard copy directions for your trip
What I love most about this dog route planner is the fact that it gives you a detailed guide to the location of dog-friendly hotels. Therefore, I don’t get lost along the way.
Additionally, it allows you to save, share and print a copy of it. The screenshot below will show you exactly what I am talking about. To get this feature, you just need to click on “Get directions with Selected Hotels.”
How to plan an emergency route on a road trip with a dog
Anything can happen while on your road trip. For example, your dog might get sick. This is common for some dogs, especially those that have not been on long drives.
The Petswelcome app will help you plan an emergency route with facilities/services you may need during your road trip.
You just click on ‘plan an emergency route,’ as seen below.
This will enable you to plan your route, as seen below.
You can also get the dog/pet clinic contacts by clicking on “more info,” just below the Pet clinic.
That’s it. I hope this guide will help you plan your next road with your dog. In less than 5 minutes, you are done.